Negative effects of technology
The advantages of technology are undeniable, electronic devices make our life much easier as we can save time and money when using them: cars, microwaves, mobile phones… In contrast, there are a lot of disadvantages that we don’t take into account.
The recession is not the only cause of unemployment: technology has enabled multinational companies to replace their workers with machines. This business process has created job redundancies and downsizing. In addition, local agencies and music stores have been forced to shut down since items are available online. Technology may have made communication quicker, easier and more convenient but it has also brought along privacy issues. People are now worried about their once private information becoming public knowledge. In order to feel secure at the work place is necessary to be in constant learning mode, as technology keeps on changing every day. There is always a new discovery or development that may be useful to make our job safer.
Also, the more technology that we create the more technology that we dispose of. This problem is exponentially growing. Practically everyone has a cell phone which has a life span of about 3 or 4 years, when we replace them they are usually thrown into a big pile and released harmful agents into the environment.
Related to cell phones, I have found 3 key points that explain how do they affect on humans health:
- First of all, studies have not shown a consistent link between cell phone use and cancers of the brain, nerves, or other tissues of the head or neck. More research is needed because cell phone technology and how people use cell phones have been changing rapidly.
- Nevertheless, you need to know that cell phones emit radiofrequency energy, a form of non-ionizing electromagnetic radiation, which can be absorbed by tissues closest to where the phone is held.
- The amount of radiofrequency energy we are exposed to depends on the technology of the phone, the distance between the phone’s antenna and the user, the extent and type of use, and the user’s distance from cell phone towers.
Technology has also affected society in general. Even the fact that we can now communicate at any time anywhere may sound like a good thing, the fact remains that people do not interact personally with one another as often as they used to. This has affected the interaction between people as it has created a barrier in personable, face-to-face communication.
As a result, there are certain habits that are losing relevance among people such as going out to play a basketball match or meeting a friend at a coffee shop. This is happening because people don’t feel the need to step outside of their home to find entertainment and fun. Technology is a privilege to have but interaction with other people is crucial, and being responsible for one’s actions and not letting technology rule our lives is very important too. I am not saying that all technology is bad or evil, but we do need to be careful that we don’t become slaves to our own creations.
· Anon, 2009. Negative effects of modern day technology. Available at: http://www.articlesbase.com/science-articles/negative-effects-of-modern-day-technology-1106666.html [Accessed December 13, 2012].
· Aydan Corkern, 2009. The Negative Effects Of Advancing Technology On Society. Available at: http://www.articleonlinedirectory.com/128143/the-negative-effects-of-advancing-technology-on-society.html [Accessed December 14, 2012].