It is fundamental getting close to any and every new talents. For being recognized some sinequanon conditions are a long career, a great scandal or, just a bit of luck. It goes without saying that is not an easy task and, moreover, if our aim is to introduce a new celebrity in a small community as Basque country is.
Basically, this is the principal aim of our Wikipedia article. We want to introduce Benedict Cumberbatch for make all the basque wikipedia’s reader know his remarkable jobs. Even if this British actor is still young, he is 36 years old, in the cinema industry any product expires soon. But now, at this moment, he is on the edge of glory, thanks to his job in the BBC serie Sherlock Holmes. It is high time to speak about him, and about all his future proyects.
We will focuse in translating to basque the information about his appearances in television, theatre and films and also about his nominations and awards. It is not strange to understand the two awards he won in 2004 and 2006 in the Monte Carlo tv Festival, and in the Broadcasting Press Guild Awards in 2011, with critics like this:
The splendidly named 33-year-old actor Benedict Cumberbatch looks absolutely dreadful. He is known to have “interesting” features – sloe-eyed and snub-nosed, with a sort of startled-meerkat-meets-a-Magimix look about him – but today he is also pasty-faced, with bottle auburn hair and a nasty, shiny cream shirt. His suit looks one size too small for him. It’s a wet February morning on the Cardiff set of Sherlock, the BBC’s modern adaptation of Arthur Conan Doyle’s classic. Cumberbatch, who plays Holmes, twists and shifts about in his chair. He sits on his hands. He does impromptu imitations and funny voices. His eyes jag from side to side. Mark Gatiss, who co-wrote the screenplay, says, “Oh, he’s always like that. You should hear him in the car on the way back to the hotel in the evening. Does impressions of everyone. Hilarious- claims Amanda Mitchison in The Guardian, Saturday 17 July 2010.
Adjectives like hilarious are not abailable for all the actors. Benedict has won a deserved recognition in Britain, and that recognition must arrive also to the Basque country.
Basque Wikipedia was launched the 7 november 2003, with two years of difference to English Wikipedia, created on January 2001. Basque Wikipedia contains above 123.066 articles, against 3 894 000 article in English and and it has about 100,000 regularly active contributors. In Basque Wikipedia, active contributors are only 354, and registered users are 33.352 (shown in the statistics).
- William Golding for Press Office, BBC 21.03.2011. Retrieved 22.03.2012 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/05_may/19/earth5.shtml
- Amanda Mitchison for The Guardian, “Benedict Cumberbatch on playing Sherlock Holmes” 17.07.2012 from http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/jul/17/benedict-cumberbatch-sherlock-holmes
- Mike Fleming for Deadline New York, “Benedict Cumberbatch To Voice Smaug in ‘The Hobbit’” 16.06.2011. Retrieved 22.03.2012 from http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/benedict-cumberbatch-to-voice-smaug-in-the-hobbit/
- Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia: Benedict Cumberbatch. Modified 19.03.2012. Retrieved 22.03.2012 from: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict_Cumberbatch#Premios_y_nominaciones
- Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia: Basque Wikipedia. Modified 6.03.2012. Retrieved 22.03.2012 from http://eu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azala