Risks of digital identity in social networks
Digital identity is the aspect of digital technology that is concerned with the mediation of people’s experience of their own identity and the identity of other people and things. Digital identity also has another common usage as the digital representation of a “set of claims made by one digital subject about itself or another digital subject” (Kim Cameron). Summarizing, it is all our footprints on internet. However, nowadays it is becoming very difficult to control our Digital Identity because of social networks. In spite of being socializing tools, they are becoming important focus of danger.
According to Jerri Ledford there are five areas we should be especially cautious about when we are creating our digital identity:
- Your Name: a web search for a name give all the information that an identity theft needs, especially if that thief is preparing to shell out a few dollars for a background report
- Where You Live: Identity thieves can catch this information using the Web and it won’t take them much time to find your physical address.
- Date of Birth: It’s also one more piece of information that an identity thief can use against you
- City of Birth: Here’s an item that’s often used as a security validation question, and it’s sometimes included in your profile information. This information is very valorous because it allows thieves to set up new accounts otherwise access as well as change existing accounts.
- Maiden Names: It’s a fact that identity thieves can obtain in a diversity of ways: from hacking you social networking profile, from genealogical requests, or from a birth certificate obtained by request from your state of birth.
These are main factors that may avoid other risks. According to Jenney Cheever these are some of the main threats of social networks:
- Social networking could damage your reputation. Keep in mind that anything you post online is public information that can be seen by anyone. This includes your boss, potential employers and even your grandmother.
- Social networking can put your safety at risk. Always use caution when dealing with people you’ve only ever “met” online. Stalkers and predators are a very real threat, and these people can find out lots of information from your profile that they can use to harm you.
- Social networking can damage your social life. When chatting with friends on Facebook is a part of your social life, it can be a fun and rewarding way to stay in touch when you’re not together.
However, what can we do?
There are many possible solutions and we can find lots of references on internet about it. However, I have chosen these ideas of Jason Robert which I think there are especially interesting:
- Worthless Information: As absurd as it sounds; one self-protective option is to give a little bit of truthful, but valueless, information to these social sites.
- Active Participation: The attraction of these sites deceit in their ability to stay connected, or to re-connect, with friends.
Inside these two ideas, there are huge of advices that the author gives to full it. Therefore I recommend that, if you are interesting in possible solutions, you will read the complete article.
- Jason Robert (2010, July 28). Social Networks and Your Digital Identity. Retrieved (2011, November 15) from http://www.itstactical.com/digicom/privacy/social-networks-and-your-digital-identity/
- Jenney Cheever (2011). Five Dangers of Social Networking Sites. Retrieved (2011, Novermber 15) from http://www.life123.com/technology/internet/online-social-networking/dangers-of-social-networking-sites.shtml
- Jerri Ledford(2011). How Social Networking Puts Your Identity at Risk. Retrieved (2011, November 14) from http://idtheft.about.com/od/preventionpractices/tp/SocialNW_Identity_Theft.htm
- K.Cameron(2006). “Laws of Identity”. Retrieved (2011, November 14) from http://www.identityblog.com/?p=352
- Digital identity. (2011, March 17). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved November 14, 2011, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Digital_identity&oldid=419352455
- Economy (16)
- Humanities (233)
- Languages (85)
- Online searchers (4)
- Uncategorized (114)
- Web Communication (344)
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- @Wuaki.tv Miles de películas y series al mejor precio sin permanencia February 26, 2014@Wuaki.tv Miles de películas y series al mejor precio sin permanenciaWuaki.tvwktv.coTe ofrecemos las mejores películas y series de televisión, estrenos de Hollywood, nacionales, el catálogo más extenso de cine y además, películas gratis. En tu ordenador o directamente en tu tablet, consola o Smart TV.
- This is what Facebook sees when you start a new relationship cc @MarketingSozial February 17, 2014This is what Facebook sees when you start a new relationship cc @MarketingSozialThe nature of online courtship, visualizedon.io9.comFacebook's Data Science team has published a thought provoking post that examines the statistical correlation between couples' timeline posts and their burgeoning relationships.
- El agregador bibliográfico @Dialnet renueva su interfaz de búsqueda January 31, 2014El agregador bibliográfico @Dialnet renueva su interfaz de búsquedaDialnet estrena buscador documental - Dialnetdialnet.unirioja.esLa principal novedad es la introducción de una serie de filtros que permiten al usuario ir acotando su búsqueda inicial hasta encontrar los resultados deseados. Con la implantación de este sistema de búsqueda, que ya funcionaba p […]
- The truth is out there on the net
- Technology- Taking over control of our lives
- Gaur egungo arte hauslea: BANSKY
- The key to the future: social networks and global communication
- La literatura de viajes a través de los tiempos
- Ancient Egypt World
- Monsters of the Sea
- El imperio persa
- "Globalization is a fact of economic life" Carlos Salinas de Gortari
- May 2013 (2)
- April 2013 (2)
- March 2013 (1)
- January 2013 (1)
- December 2012 (95)
- November 2012 (1)
- June 2012 (15)
- May 2012 (124)
- April 2012 (2)
- March 2012 (38)
- February 2012 (7)
- December 2011 (93)
- November 2011 (85)
- July 2011 (10)
- June 2011 (4)
- May 2011 (2)
- April 2011 (1)
- January 2011 (10)
- December 2010 (132)
- November 2010 (37)
- October 2010 (1)
- 118,767 hits