Friendship In Facebook: Is It Possible?
Over the last years, there has been some discussion about the quality of friendship on social networks such as Twitter and Facebook. Hence the importance of analysing the meaning of the word. Michael Austin, Assistant Professor of Philosophy at Eastern Kentucky University, has related this topic with Aristotle´s concept of the term “friendship”.
Aristotle claims that there are three types of friendship:
- Friendship based on utility.
- Friendship based on pleasure.
- Friendship based on virtue.
Mr. Austin concludes: “we can have friendships based on utility and pleasure via Facebook, but I´m skeptical about friends based on virtue. In this kind of friendship, contact is required, and this is difficult to accomplish via status updates”.
You can find more on this topic in his blog at Psychology Today.
I have looked for people with more than a thousand Facebook friends with conections to our subject and it seems to me that Mr. Austin is right. It looks like the majority of their friends are based on pleasure and/or utility.
Here is the list:
- Adriana Bustamante (4668 friends) Founder of CDsitenet: communication services for enterprises. She created a blog where she writes about online marketing and networking .
- Alejandro de Pedro (2783 friends) General manger of Open Ideas, a technological consultancy, focused on innovation, open source and social web.
- Alejandro Moreno (2349 friends) Founder and associate of Piensablogs (Online marketing and online contents management).
- Ángel María Herrera (3186 friends) Founder of several enterprises related to Internet communication (Medios y redes…).
- Bárbara Yuste (only 902 friends) Journalist and manager of Medios&Redes from abc.es.
On balance then, I dare conclude that people shouldn´t expect to find true friendship through social networks. However, I think Facebook is a powerful tool for prefessional purposes and very useful for interaction in the social sphere.
- Michael Austin (November 10, 2010); Facebook and friendship; retrieved: November 10, 2010 from http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ethics-everyone/201011/facebook-and-friendship
- Don Rittner (October 30, 2010); Avoiding Fake Friends On Facebook; retrieved: Nov 18, 2010 from http://blog.timesunion.com/rittner/avoiding-fake-friends-on-facebook/1183/
- Meagan Kashty (November 4, 2010); Fake Friends? Blame Facebook; retrieved: Nov 18, 2010 from http://www.westerngazette.ca/2010/11/04/fake-friends-blame-facebook/
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
- Economy (16)
- Humanities (233)
- Languages (85)
- Online searchers (4)
- Uncategorized (114)
- Web Communication (344)
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- No es de extrañar que Suecia prohíba el uso de Google Apps en el sector público June 14, 2013No es de extrañar que Suecia prohíba el uso de Google Apps en el sector públicoSuecia prohibe el uso de Google Apps en el sector público - ComputerHoy.comcomputerhoy.comEl gobierno sueco ha decidido que prohibe el uso de productos de Google por parte de entes públicos, aduciendo fallas en la protección de la privacidad.
- #diaHD Judson Harward: “Engineering the Digital Humanities” Sala de Conferencias... May 28, 2013#diaHD Judson Harward: “Engineering the Digital Humanities” Sala de Conferencias 30.05.2013 12h @deustoTimeline PhotosEste jueves, 30 de mayo, tendremos en el campus de Bilbao al prestigioso investigador V. Judson Harward, proveniente de la Universidad de Harvard y que ha pasado también por el MIT, que impartirá la conferencia “Engineering the Digital Humani […]
- Philosopher Daniel Dennett presents seven tools for critical thinking http://cul... May 21, 2013Philosopher Daniel Dennett presents seven tools for critical thinking http://cultr.me/1910lHdPhilosopher Daniel Dennett Presents Seven Tools For Critical Thinkingwww.openculture.comLove him or hate him, many of our readers may know enough about Daniel C. Dennett to have formed some opinion of his work. While Dennett can be a soft-spoken, jovial presence, he […]
- May 2013 (2)
- April 2013 (2)
- March 2013 (1)
- January 2013 (1)
- December 2012 (95)
- November 2012 (1)
- June 2012 (15)
- May 2012 (124)
- April 2012 (2)
- March 2012 (38)
- February 2012 (7)
- December 2011 (93)
- November 2011 (85)
- July 2011 (10)
- June 2011 (4)
- May 2011 (2)
- April 2011 (1)
- January 2011 (10)
- December 2010 (132)
- November 2010 (37)
- October 2010 (1)
- 95,846 hits