Friendship In Facebook: Is It Possible?
Over the last years, there has been some discussion about the quality of friendship on social networks such as Twitter and Facebook. Hence the importance of analysing the meaning of the word. Michael Austin, Assistant Professor of Philosophy at Eastern Kentucky University, has related this topic with Aristotle´s concept of the term “friendship”.
Aristotle claims that there are three types of friendship:
- Friendship based on utility.
- Friendship based on pleasure.
- Friendship based on virtue.
Mr. Austin concludes: “we can have friendships based on utility and pleasure via Facebook, but I´m skeptical about friends based on virtue. In this kind of friendship, contact is required, and this is difficult to accomplish via status updates”.
You can find more on this topic in his blog at Psychology Today.
I have looked for people with more than a thousand Facebook friends with conections to our subject and it seems to me that Mr. Austin is right. It looks like the majority of their friends are based on pleasure and/or utility.
Here is the list:
- Adriana Bustamante (4668 friends) Founder of CDsitenet: communication services for enterprises. She created a blog where she writes about online marketing and networking .
- Alejandro de Pedro (2783 friends) General manger of Open Ideas, a technological consultancy, focused on innovation, open source and social web.
- Alejandro Moreno (2349 friends) Founder and associate of Piensablogs (Online marketing and online contents management).
- Ángel María Herrera (3186 friends) Founder of several enterprises related to Internet communication (Medios y redes…).
- Bárbara Yuste (only 902 friends) Journalist and manager of Medios&Redes from abc.es.
On balance then, I dare conclude that people shouldn´t expect to find true friendship through social networks. However, I think Facebook is a powerful tool for prefessional purposes and very useful for interaction in the social sphere.
- Michael Austin (November 10, 2010); Facebook and friendship; retrieved: November 10, 2010 from http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ethics-everyone/201011/facebook-and-friendship
- Don Rittner (October 30, 2010); Avoiding Fake Friends On Facebook; retrieved: Nov 18, 2010 from http://blog.timesunion.com/rittner/avoiding-fake-friends-on-facebook/1183/
- Meagan Kashty (November 4, 2010); Fake Friends? Blame Facebook; retrieved: Nov 18, 2010 from http://www.westerngazette.ca/2010/11/04/fake-friends-blame-facebook/
- Economy (16)
- Humanities (233)
- Languages (85)
- Online searchers (4)
- Uncategorized (114)
- Web Communication (344)
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Viral videos help promote a mission, such as our congenital love for #music cc #... November 13, 2014Viral videos help promote a mission, such as our congenital love for #music cc #wcim1415EL PODER DE LA MUSICAINCREIBLE!!! este es el mayor ejemplo del poder de la musica. Tienen que verlo
- Selfie's evolution in six steps (1500 - 2012) October 7, 2014Selfie's evolution in six steps (1500 - 2012) La evolución del Selfie...frasesycosas.blogspot.com
- Harry Verwayen: Europeana strategic plan Europeana aggregator May 30, 2014Harry Verwayen: Europeana strategic plan Europeana aggregatorEuropeana Strategic Plan Europeana Aggregator Forumwww.slideshare.netHarry Verwayen gives an overview of the strategic plan and ambitions of the Europeana Foundation going forward and the plans up to 2012.
- May 2013 (2)
- April 2013 (2)
- March 2013 (1)
- January 2013 (1)
- December 2012 (95)
- November 2012 (1)
- June 2012 (15)
- May 2012 (124)
- April 2012 (2)
- March 2012 (38)
- February 2012 (7)
- December 2011 (93)
- November 2011 (85)
- July 2011 (10)
- June 2011 (4)
- May 2011 (2)
- April 2011 (1)
- January 2011 (10)
- December 2010 (132)
- November 2010 (37)
- October 2010 (1)
- 133,394 hits